[fpc-devel] Need advice for refactoring

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 10:22:08 CEST 2010

On 19 July 2010 08:42, Florian Klaempfl <florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> I never encountered this and doubt it :) because svn recognizes also

Then some core team members should retrain themselves with SubVersion
so they know what it can and cannot do. This will reduced them
spreading incorrect information to others not so proficient with
SubVersion. I don't used SubVersion for over a year now, so I've lost
some of my SVN knowledge, or what the latest svn can and cannot do.

> Anyways, why do you want to do the same change  twice? Just make it once
> and merge.

I was trying to compile the cpstrnew branch with a much newer Trunk
compiler, to finally submit some of my local changes. The compiler
complained about certain language changes and code syntax. I don't
track trunk changes, so simply fixed the cpstrnew branch to compile
again - without looking at trunk for answers. Vincent raise the issue
that my changes might cause merge conflicts and pointed me to the
Trunk code changes. I suggested to simply change the mentioned code to
match trunk and be done with it (manual code change - I don't know how
to merge with svn, or if I can only merge a certain patch. eg: like
Git's cherry-pick feature). Again I was told I cannot simply match the
code, because even though it would be identical to trunk, it will
still cause merge conflicts. Jonas then re-synced cpstrnew branch with
Trunk - now it doesn't compile anymore. I don't know how or under
which platform Jonas tested the cpstrnew branch after he did the
re-sync.

  - Graeme -