[fpc-devel] Need advice for refactoring

Florian Klämpfl florian at freepascal.org
Sat Jul 17 11:47:37 CEST 2010

Alexander Klenin schrieb:
>>> Generally speaking, long-lived feature branches should be avoided in SVN,
>>> since the merging is incredibly painful.
>> Why? As long as the patches textually apply, it's no problem.
>
> Of course, this is the trivial case.
>
>> But as soon as the changesets not longer apply the used vcs makes no difference.
>
> Well, you should really try using modern VCS ;-)

Well, I did, till the lazarus mercurial mirror repository broke.
Yesterday, I tried to clone Graeme's git repository because I needed
quickly fpc trunk: cloning aborted with some error message always at the
same point. svn co was 1-2 min slower but it worked.

> I just wanted to say that, in SVN, there is indeed a problem as soon as
> conflicts start to accumulate, so (in my experience) the optimal way
> is to avoid them
> as much as possible by avoiding feature branches with a lifetime of
> more than a few days.

I don't see how this can be solved by another vcs.