[fpc-devel] Re: Compiler bottlenecks

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Jul 15 12:52:19 CEST 2010

  On 07/15/2010 12:05 PM, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> And you will get overhead in the FASTMM scheme if you have two threads
> that are concurrently allocating and/or freeing a lot of small or
> medium blocks.
Only in extremely rare cases (which of course will be handled but seem
not to be relevant regarding the overall speed).

With small blocks there is no concurrency (as in case of conflict, the
second thread  will use medium.

With medium of course there is concurrency, but as the need for handling
medium blocks is a quite rare case - even if some small blocks are
forced to the medium list due to a concurrency conflict - this does not
harm much.
> Both have their strong and weak points. Note that FPC's memory manager
> also keeps separate freelists for small blocks (but per thread).
I did not take a look at FPC's memory manager. Maybe someone might want
to do some profiling ....

-Michael