[fpc-devel] Purpose of "uses ... in"?

Hans-Peter Diettrich DrDiettrich1 at aol.com
Tue Jul 13 02:48:17 CEST 2010

Jonas Maebe schrieb:

> Furthermore, at least two of "the users" have already posted in this
> thread saying that they use this functionality (both in FPC and in
> Delphi). Therefore I don't think it is a good idea to remove or change it.

ACK. My concern is about new users with (possibly) new uses of that
construct, that will not work with the current implementation. We should
cleary state that the use of the "in" feature is not recommended in new
projects, and its use may lead to unexpected results.

> If different functionality is desired, I think it's better to add a
> different construct rather than using the same construct but with a
> different meaning.

I don't think that unit aliasing requires a new construct. In technical
terms it only affects the (one-time) comparison of the file and unit
name. It *may* have more consequences, like the determination of the
source file (name) from a unit name in an IDE, but I don't think that
the required changes (if ever) would exceed similar comparisons. But all
such considerations can be postponed, till a real and broad need for
such a feature exists, or until a user comes up with an according patch.

DoDi