[fpc-devel] Purpose of "uses ... in"?

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Mon Jul 12 09:01:52 CEST 2010

In our previous episode, Hans-Peter Diettrich said:
> That's why I would restrict the usage of "in", with a (relative) path,
> to a program or library module, as AFAIR Delphi does, and make the
> directory of that file the root for relative filenames.

AFAIK it does not. Delphi projects with relative paths in library
searchnames also can go horribly wrong.

Usually the working dir is equal to the project dir, but in some cases they
can differ, and then it goes wrong.

The IN syntax was iirc mainly to fix certain Kylix naming issues, and to
assist the designer (hence its main use in .dpr). It was abused for all
kinds of trickery, but these were always hacks afaik.