[fpc-devel] fpdoc content syntax suggestion

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 10:59:15 CEST 2010

Op 2010-07-09 09:51, Marco van de Voort het geskryf:

> I think losing full layouting capabilities (even though sometimes
> problematic) would be an huge loss.

Could you give an example? Do you mean you hard-code HTML tags inside the
<descr> and <short> contents? This is exactly what I am trying to prevent.

The documentation should have it's own markup syntax, and the backend
(HTML, IPF, LaTeX etc) should translate that markup to its native syntax
and formatting.

> Specially because now we are also think
> about using fpdoc for normal helpfiles.

I thought about that as well, and fpdoc wasn't designed for that. My
thinking was that whatever new syntax (for the help content) is used, the
parser for that could be reused in a new "general application help" tool,
which also supports various output formats. There could possibly be some
overlap (common code) between that new documentation tool and fpdoc, but
that should rather become a task of refactoring, once both tools exist.

Another since step forward will be a WYSIWIG editor for the help content -
completely hiding the markup syntax from the help author, but that fall
outside the scope of FPC.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://opensoft.homeip.net/fpgui/