[fpc-devel] Circular references and forward declarations

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Jan 5 18:16:25 CET 2010

Juha Manninen schrieb:
> On tiistai, 5. tammikuuta 2010 18:39:21 Florian Klaempfl wrote:
>> I knew all the reasoning, but honestly, I don't see a point in it. I
>> used C++ for years professionally and I always avoided circular
>> references/implementing classes in different files than the header is
>> named so I see no need in pascal either (and I never needed it).
>
> Hmmm...
> In real programs there are classes that are big and are logically their own
> entities (or how to put it), but still they must refer to other similar
> classes in other units. I don't know how you have solved this without putting
> everything into one big file.

See e.g. the compiler, but how does a big source file hurt anyways?
Today, navigation is done by the IDE and cvs times are also gone when
big files were a problem to commit. I consider class reference refering
some external files not better than one big file if this is really
needed. Things being interwinded can also end in the same file.