[fpc-devel] Conditional Breakpoints using FPC and GDB

Marc Weustink marc.weustink at cuperus.nl
Fri Aug 13 17:34:18 CEST 2010

Martin wrote:
> On 13/08/2010 10:14, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Lazarus has a dialog for conditional breakpoints, but it doesn't work. I
>> tried everything.
>> * set a breakpoint where condition is: TypeDecl.Name = 'TRGBTriple'
>
> Seems that gdb expects double quotes
> FName = "abc"
> but then it wants malloc to be defined, and complains about that.
>
> It does support string index, and bool expression:
> FName[0]='a' and FName[1]='b'

Yeah, and this is exactly the reason why I stopped on expressions. There
is no way to distinguish beween a pchar and a string "string"

FName[1] (where FName:PChar) has a complete different meaning than
FName[1] (where Fname:String)

> That works (in the watches windows)

it works, but does it show the correct value ?

> [Note in Lazarus the expression
> isn't properly quoted before being send to gdb. So (since it has spaces)
> you need to double quote the entire expression, before sending it to gdb]

It is quoted iirc (or did I forget it somewhere ?).

Marc