[fpc-devel] FPC 2.3.1 seems a mixed mess with Unicode support

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Sep 17 10:02:28 CEST 2009

On 17 Sep 2009, at 09:55, Michael Schnell wrote:

> Jonas Maebe wrote:
>>
>> Neither that much space nor that much time is required.
>
> Any pointers regarding a decent estimation ?

No.

> As there are billions of possible Unicode "characters" and most of
> them
> potentially can be alternately depicted by one or multiple
> multi-Unicode surrogates, I don't share your optimism.

There are many existing OSes out there which deal perfectly well with
this (such as Mac OS X, which does auto-normalization in several
cases). It's not like this is new rocket science, unicode has been
around since quite a while and all this stuff has been dealt with by
other people several years ago already.

Jonas