[fpc-devel] embedded arm port

Bernd Mueller mueller.b at gmx.net
Tue Sep 15 12:05:31 CEST 2009

octal at pocketmt.com wrote:
> Just a question Florian,
>
> C offers the "volatile" attribute to mention that a variable can change
> value without source code intervention (for example a variable that maps
> to a port register).

I had all sort of troubles with gcc aggressive optimizations. Two years
ago, I had to initialize SDRAMS for an ARM9 board for example. This
requiered to write sequences of data to the same memory address (among
other things). I finally wrote this part in assembler, because I could
not get this work with gcc.

Something like the fpc {$OPTIMIZATION xxx} compiler switch, which allows
to enable/disable optimizations on procedure level, would have helped me
a lot. As far as I know, gcc has not such a thing.

Regards, Bernd.