[fpc-devel] New global CustomApplication variable

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Oct 15 15:17:46 CEST 2009

In our previous episode, Michael Schnell said:
> > Well, the point is if it really is compatible. And the other consideration
> > is that such system should eat resources that are scarce (like SIGUSR and
> > SIGUSR2)
>
> I never worked with signals up to now.
>
> Martin once told me that the MSEGUI implementation of the message queue
> does use signals. Maybe there are other primitives in Linux that are not
> that scarce Do you think, (e.g.) System V message queues would be more
> appropriate ?

Afaik, at the time when I was researching this (mass async messagehandling),
this was discounted because FreeBSD didn't support them (*)

I then gave up emulating the windows messaging concept because while you
might be able to emulate a few cases, you could not reliably implement it
 crossplatform (cross-unix actually).

(*) it did support them, but it was turned off in default kernels, and the
status was not exactly known, so for all practical purposes they weren't.

But maybe you could do some research on the subject.