[fpc-devel] profiling under windows

Paul Ishenin webpirat at mail.ru
Sun Nov 22 15:31:51 CET 2009

Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 20 Nov 2009, at 18:08, Paul Ishenin wrote:
>

>> I have attached compiler gprof output of compiler itself. Using output I was able to find and improve(?) 3 functions I found in output.
>>

> Did you benchmark whether this changed code is indeed faster and whether it makes any difference at all for the compiler? Changing working code because it /might/ become slightly faster that way is not a good approach to keeping source code either maintainable or fast (especially not if it's done by adding more with-statements).

I did not benchmarked the changed code. I made the change because of
gprof numbers (compiler compiles the compiler):

  %   cumulative   self              self     total
 time   seconds   seconds    calls  Ts/call  Ts/call  name
before:
  0.62      4.27     0.05
CCLASSES_TDYNAMICARRAY_$__WRITE$formal$LONGWORD
after:
  0.37      4.99     0.03
CCLASSES_TDYNAMICARRAY_$__WRITE$formal$LONGWORD

On a smaller test (compiling not the compiler but some small
application) dynamicarray.read and write were on top of the list.

Best regards,
Paul Ishenin.