cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Thu Nov 12 00:23:46 CET 2009

On 12 Nov 09, at 0:01, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2009, at 23:54, Tomas Hajny wrote:
>
> > Are character sets recognized by numeric values under Mac OS X?
>
> There are two ways to deal with them. One is libiconv, like on any
> *nix platform (which, afaik, only supports string identifiers). The
> other is CFString, which uses numeric values: http://developer.apple.com/mac/library/documentation/CoreFoundation/Reference/CFStringRef/Reference/reference.html#//apple_ref/doc/constant_group/External_String_Encodings
 .
 .

These Mac OS X could not be used by Delphi directly in any case
because some of the values would not fit into 2 bytes (constants for
all the Unicode encodings fall into this category apparently), so I
guess that their choice is more or less clear, especially if Mac OS X
already provides direct support for mapping between Windows codepage
numbers and the internal constants out of the box...

Tomas