cpstrnew branch (was Re: [fpc-devel] Freepascal 2.4.0rc1 released)

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Wed Nov 11 16:17:14 CET 2009

On Wed, November 11, 2009 14:10, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> On 11 Nov 2009, at 13:49, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
>
>> Is FPC realistically going to implement all 2059 of those?
>
> We might implement 1 or 2 of those. Most of them will however be
> handled by libiconv, the Windows code page conversion APIs, or some
> other external library (just like with the current widestring manager).

Nevertheless: is e.g. ISO 8859-2 character set referenced the same way
under different platforms (in the new concept), or would the new codepage
number contain different values depending on the host platform? Does
libiconv allow referencing the character sets using some numeric
identifier at all? If yes, where are these identifiers defined? As an
example, MS Windows addresses ISO 8859-2 as codepage number 28592 whereas
OS/2 uses codepage number 912.

Tomas