[fpc-devel] ref,user and prog in chm format (updated)

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Thu Jul 30 19:48:48 CEST 2009

> > magnitude of 4-5MB both in ZIP as unpacked. (compare, doc-html.zip is now 10MB
> > _packed_ and tens of MB's uncompressed)
>
> Just thought I would let you know, I downloaded the doc-html.tar.gz,
> extracted it, and then repacked it using 7-zip.  As a solid archive I got
> it down to 1.9MB!

Depacking a html zip on a slow machine takes over tens of minutes already.
7zip would make it worse.

The whole idea is to get rid of the depacked files all together, and a solid
archive is useless as help format.

> 7-zip has been around for quite some time. Maybe the releases can drop the
> standard .zip and replace that with .7z

Maybe. Just provide a FPC implementation of the depacker for use in the
various installers, and we can test with it. If the memory and CPU
requirements are doable, why not?

> I noticed most of the .tar.gz is even smaller than the .zip archives.
> Just my 2c worth... :-)

.tar.gz's are solid in a way too, so that is no surpise in this case.