[fpc-devel] function StabBackTraceStr(addr:Pointer):shortstring; - problem with subsequent back traces

Bogusław Brandys brandys at o2.pl
Wed Apr 15 08:54:27 CEST 2009

There is a problem with this function. To avoid recursion there is a
hack there to  point BackTraceStrFunc to system implementation (which
only shows addresses in hex).Long back trace which mostly ends with
incorrect frame address as I suppose (OpenStabs is returning false for
nil address) - thus function pointer is not returned back to lineinfo
stabs processing method and next back trace contains only addresses .

This problem is minor if program crashes with exception and stack trace
but in other cases , like in bigger program (any Lazarus ones) , ONLY
first back trace has useful information (source,line number) attached to it.
That eliminates any useful logging like multilog for example.
And nobody really is able to know correct stack frames length before
calling any of such functions to obtain back trace (that would resolve
problem).

How we could fix it ? Is this recursion still a subject here ?

I have one idea, probably not perfect.

How about  a function to initialize
  BackTraceStrFunc  : TBackTraceStrFunc;

The only way now is to set :

BackTraceStrFunc := @SysBackTraceStr; (displays only hex of addresses)

Something generic is needed, able to set to StabBackTraceStr if lineinfo
unit (option -gl) is used and only to  SysBackTraceStr in other case.
It might be used also to set to user defined function.

That way in any such functions in lcl
(DumpExceptionBackTrace,GetStackTrace) or external package (like
multilog), we could initialize BackTraceStrFunc to point again to
correct function before obtaining stack trace.

Boguslaw Brandys