[fpc-devel] Is calling the Windows Unicode APIs really faster than the ANSI API's?

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 12:52:04 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 26, 2008 at 12:34 PM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:
>> I guess that would be one of the best solutions. Having a system unicode
>> string type and then some specialized string types.
>>
>> SysString
>> UTF8String
>> UTF16String
>> UTF32String
>> Anyway, I still think something like this would be nice ;)
>
> This originally was the plan. The implementation differed however between
> different solutions due to problems with automated conversions.

Taking a step back from Free Pascal and Tiburon.... How do other
frameworks handle string encodings etc... Frameworks like Java, Qt
etc... Can't we learn something from them as well?  Both Java and Qt
run on multiple platforms, read/write to files, do string manipulation
etc....  I don't know those frameworks well, but they have huge
developer base and backed by huge companies (with plenty of developers
working on those frameworks). Plus, they have been supporting Unicode
for ages already! I'm sure we can learn something from their
experience.

Regards,
  - Graeme -