[fpc-devel] Unicodestring branch, please test and help fixing

listmember listmember at letterboxes.org
Thu Sep 11 22:33:32 CEST 2008

 >> procedure TLabel.Paint(...)
 >> begin
 >>   if *Caption.IsRTL *then
 >>     DrawCaptionRTL(0,0,*Caption.AsUTF8*, flags)
 >> else
 >>     DrawCaption(0,0,*Caption.AsUTF8*, flags);
 >> end;
 >>
 >> Is not that enough?
 >
 > What is the gain as opposed to
 >
 >   procedure TLabel.Paint(...)
 >   begin
 >    if IsRTL(Caption) then
 >      DrawCaptionRTL(0,0,AsUTF8(Caption), flags)
 >   else
 >      DrawCaption(0,0,AsUTF8(Caption), flags);
 >   end;
 >
 > In other words where is the benefit from OOP in this ?

IMO, both are deficient as they both assume that a string block (text)
is either RTL or LTR.

Doesn't that mean we will be --by design-- unable to write something
like 'Yom Kippur (יוֹם כִּפּוּר)' on a caption?

This is why I keep asking that the 'TCharacter' or 'TChar' needs to have
a language attribute.