[fpc-devel] Unicodestring branch, please test and help fixing

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Sep 10 09:22:15 CEST 2008

In our previous episode, Ivo Steinmann said:
> I fully agree with you. I would like the object oriented way of strings
> also - but I stopped asking for that ;) There are a lot of advantages
> over the small amount of disadvantages. Of course I dont like this one:
>
> S := TString.Create('');
>
> But a built in class TString that is managed by the compiler.
>
> PS : Maybe i'm a littlebit more up to date about todays concepts of
> object oriented languages - maybe because I know him personally
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bertrand_Meyer
> There were a lot of interesting discussions, etc...  altough I dont like
> Eiffel :)

I think it is less the object orientation but the possible customization
that is interesting. But I never liked an existing solution better than the
solution we have now. And while I have not seen all languages, I've seen
more than a few.

Moreover what always strikes me (and apparantly Florian too, judging by his
reaction) is the total lack of (detailed) arguments. All we have till now
are Anton's two lines of pseudo code.

If people are really interested in this, the least you can do is come with
real evidence, comparisons, and not with just a few gratitious soundbites.

If you learned so much from Meyer, write something about it.

See also http://www.freepascal.org/faq.var#extensionselect

Use the wiki for all I care, but do something, and be prepared to find
solutions for criticism.