[fpc-devel] assign constant text to widestring

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Oct 23 13:06:50 CEST 2008

> The compiler definitively eats no ucs-2 encoded sources.

I did check several times: My source file looks like this when I open it
with Ultra-Edit and tell to show it in Hex:
FF FE 75 00 6E 0069 00 74 00 20 00 55 00 6E 00 ..u.n.i.t. .U.n.

Now I created a Delphi program and read the file with TFileStream.

Now I found a utf-8 coded information without a BOM.

So Windows seems to play some nasty tricks on us. Supposedly FPC reads
the file in a similar way as TFileStream and thus the compiler in fact
sees utf8.

All this is really nasty stuff !!!

-Michael