[fpc-devel] Code is clean now, but how about documentation?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 7 09:53:22 CEST 2008

On Mon, 6 Oct 2008, Tom Verhoeff wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 07:09:23PM +0200, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > Given that I didn't even own or use Delphi at the time the system unit was
> > first documented, this is strange news indeed.
>
> I could be wrong (it has happened before :-).
>
> Instead of having copied (like in retype) the doc from the Delphi help,
> I might have copied it from FreePascal doc and attributed it to Delphi
> (because that is what we were using at the time).  I cannot really check,
> because I no longer have a Delphi installation.
>
> Now that would be nasty, wouldn't it?
>
> Can anyone check what the Delphi doc says for the string operations
> Delete and Pos?

I checked:
It is very different, so probably you indeed copied from FPC docs.

Which is also correct on your part, because the FPC docs are free text,
and if you used Delphi documentation on slides for teaching, you yourself
would be in copyright violation. (unless you expressly asked permission
from Borland).

Given that you nearly gave me a heartattack and that I didn't sleep tonight,
I'd like to ask everyone to be careful when making such statements.
Even though I know these allegations are not correct, it works heavily
on my system. I'm only as human as the next man. :-)

Michael.