[fpc-devel] Re: new 27 page document describing Unicode support in D2009

Sergei Gorelkin sergei_gorelkin at mail.ru
Fri Nov 21 23:47:40 CET 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:08 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <graemeg.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I thought you guys might find this interesting. It's a new 27 page
>> document describing Unicode support in D2009.
>>
>> http://dn.codegear.com/article/38980
>
> Seeing that I don't own D2009 and only read about it's Unicode support
> I found some of the information interesting - and it was things we
> argued about in this mailing list.

Well, with exclusion of the "class helper for TStrings" (notable is that
they call it a hack themselves :) the design looks rather clean. Since
each string stores its element size, both ansi and unicode strings are
probably handled with common set of procedures, avoiding RTL size bloat.

And they explain why there is no compiler option for switching back and
forth.

Unfortunately, the article does not provide information about how things
like Pos() and Copy() work with utf8 strings. However, one may
understand words "utf-8 support is more limited than utf-16" as they
continue to work with elements (bytes).

Regards,
Sergei