[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

peter green plugwash at p10link.net
Thu Nov 20 12:22:27 CET 2008

> For best backward compatibility, I would say Copy, Length, Pos etc
> should work by "character based" by default.
The thing is we can't reasonablly provide functions based on what a user
would see as a character because doing so would require huge lookup
tables (one user visible character != one code point) so the best we can
do is code point based which isn't really much better for most tasks
than code unit based and would make certain operations MUCH slower. In
other words it would be a major speed penalty for a minor gain.