[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Nov 20 12:11:39 CET 2008

Op Thu, 20 Nov 2008, schreef Michael Schnell:

>> Isn't this the same??
>>

> I understand that D2009 uses dynamic code information, while my suggestion is
> based on several different (static) types.

As I understand it is static.

type  cp850string=ansistring(CP_850);
       utf8string=ansistring(CP_UTF8);

var a:cp850string;
     b:utf8string;

begin
   a:=b;  {Compiler knows conversion to perform at compile time.

> I feel that static types are a lot easier to implement and if using them
> correctly, the user can tune the program to be as fast as possible or as
> small as possible. This helps a lot with embedded projects. dynamic types are
> due to much bloating regarding space and performance.

I agree. However, FPC may still decide to do some things dynamic to
prevent a blowup of rtl size.

Daniël