[fpc-devel] Unicode support - for the 20th time... ;-)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Nov 20 10:33:42 CET 2008

On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 11:12 AM, Florian Klaempfl
<florian at freepascal.org> wrote:

> Ok, two questions for the example above:
> - how do you maintain backward compatibility?
> - how do you load a plain old ansi file?

If the file is UTF-8 or ANSI, the above  should work. UTF-8 was
designed to be backward compatible with ANSI. One of the beauties of
UTF-8.

But yes, with other encodings it's a problem. And exactly the reason I
think TStrings and the whole FPC for that matter should start
supporting Unicode somehow.  And that's why I urge all core FPC
developers to try and finalize a Unicode design.  Otherwise you leave
it up to developers to keep adding such shitty hacks which could cause
more issues in the long term - instead of solving issues.

Regards,
  - Graeme -