[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 17:34:36 CET 2008

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Michael Schnell <mschnell at lumino.de> wrote:

> So I don't understand why the LCL designers for the unicode upgrade decided
> to use an UTF8 API instead of a WideString API (like MSEGUI does seemingly
> successfully).

I can't speak for the Lazarus team, but I can speak for fpGUI Toolkit.
It's very little effort moving from ANSI to UTF-8. Plus you can assign
any UTF-8 string to a standard AnsiString type. No special coding or
types are required. That's one of the huge benefits of UTF-8. Other
benefits being that it's already in byte format, no BOM markers
required, seemly handling of all Unicode characters because you can't
"cheat" with UTF-16 by using UCS-2 as a start (which MSEgui is doing).

All I do know is that only recently did the WideString manager become
usable in FPC. Martin had until recently some issues with bugs in the
WideString manager.

Regards,
  - Graeme -