[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 11 15:43:24 CET 2008

> We were talking of a world where strings consist of widechars, not
> about the current Lazarus, weren't we?
I'm not sure. Of course WideStrings and WideChars are easier to be used,
as in Europe and America problems with surrogate pairs will seldom
arise, but IMHO the user should be enabled to define what kind of string
encoding he uses (UTF-8, UTF-16 or UCS2, trading speed against memory).
The compiler should do the dirty work of converting automatically.

With that the current Lazarus LCL would be perfectly usable (even if the
user decides to use UCS2 WideStrings and thus can use WideChars).

OTOH, regarding an improved Lazarus, IMHO he should be enabled to choose
or compile an LCL version with a UTF16 or UCS2 WideStrings API, for
improved speed with GUI handling.

-Michael