[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Nov 11 13:44:43 CET 2008

On 11 Nov 2008, at 13:39, Michael Schnell wrote:

>> a) "ü": "LATIN SMALL LETTER U WITH DIAERESIS", encoded as $C3 $BC
>> b) "ü": "LATIN SMALL LETTER U", encoded as $75, followed by
>> "COMBINING DIAERESIS", which is encoded as $CC $88
> I see, but I fail to see the sense of providing two different UTF8
> code variants for the same unicode character.

Probably because different kinds of string processing can work more
efficiently with one or the other encoding. Anyway, why it is the case
is moot: the fact is that this is possible (regardless of whether you
use UTF-8, UTF-16 or UTF-32) and therefore you have to deal with it
when you use unicode.

Jonas