[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 11 12:33:26 CET 2008

> It will at best be "friendly old school behaviour which works most of
> the time, but which fails as soon as the strings are not completely
> normalised because then you can have decomposed characters and
> whatnot" (which in turn easily leads to security holes due to
> incomplete checks, hard to reproduce bugs and "write once, debug
> everywhere"-style behaviour).
Sorry, I don't understand. What not normalized behavior needs to be
taken into account ?

With "friendly old school behavior" I mean counting in characters (not
subcode) with whatever string type. This of course is only sensible if
all conversion is done automatically. And of course this might result in
really slow code with Unicode string types, that is why the explicitly
subcode-based functions need to be provided to the users.

-Michael