[fpc-devel] Unicode support (again)

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 11 11:20:36 CET 2008

Op Tue, 11 Nov 2008, schreef Michael Schnell:

>> There will have full compatibility with old code. It quite likely FPC will
>> have a Win32 platform where string=ansistring and a WinNT platform where
>> string=unicodestring. Other platforms will be decided on a case by case
>> basis, i.e. there is little point in having string=unicodestring on Dos.
>
> Right you are, but IMHO, there should not be an explicit or implicit
> dependency on platforms in the compile process, but it the user should be
> allowed to define a set of options as he likes. Of course for any target
> platform (that might be different from the build platform) certain option
> setting will produce faster or smaller platform code than others.

Of course we coudl extend the $H option for unicodestrings, so yuou can
choose whatever string string is your default. However, the "platform"
part in it, depends on the string type used that all libraries have been
compiled with. I.e. regardless of your setting, "assign" would accept a
ansistring or unicodestring depending on the platform, and this will be
mostly dependand on wether the platform has an actual unicode API.

Daniël