[fpc-devel] Why is FPC so self-contained ?

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 4 10:56:22 CET 2008

> I am personally (every now and then) working on an FPC backend that
> emits llvm code. Llvm has been designed from the ground up to take
> some form of intermediate code as input and as a generic backend for
> other compilers. It's still quite young as a project and does not yet
> support as many targets as gcc, but it is evolving and improving very
> quickly.
>
> See http://llvm.org for more info.

Sounds very interesting indeed ! Please keep me informed on what you
come up with on that behalf !

NIOS is a very simple load-store 32 Bit RISK architecture, similar to
the initial ARM Core, so I suppose it would be quite easy to port the
ARM code generator of llvm to NIOS.

But OTOH I feel a bit uncomfortable to see yet another intermediate code
(after GCC's "RTL", CLR's (.Net/Mono) "CIL" and FPC's own stuff) in the
game.

-Michael