[fpc-devel] Why is FPC so self-contained ?

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 4 10:12:54 CET 2008

Op Tue, 4 Nov 2008, schreef Michael Schnell:

> Are there other than historical reasons that FPC is this "self-contained" ?
> (I suppose compiling speed is an issue here, so a "GCC compatible parser"
> might only be an additional tool provided by the FPC team, but I'd really
> love to use this for my embedded projects.)

Speed is an issue, but not the main reason. Using GCC's backend is
difficult, reasons are it is a moving target and because it doesn't
necessarily implement the features we need, many of our features, like
resourcestring tables, require heavy support from the code generator.
Another reason is that GCC is written in C, and the code is hard to
understand for an outsider. I prefer coding in Pascal, and I understand
the architecture of FPC.

Daniël