[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Nov 4 09:11:45 CET 2008

Boian Mitov schrieb:
> Very nice wrap on this one Michael.
> While architectures such as OpenMP or CUDA do not solve and don't even
> try to solve the general case of MT development, they are very powerful
> in the areas of image processing and DSP. Indeed we are already
> researching CUDA for usage in our libraries. For those unaware of it,
> CUDA is the MT API for the NVidia GPUs . My NVIdia comes with 240 cores,
> and can perform with mind blowing speed fairly complex DSP.

So you just add a parallel keyword to your C code and you've CUDA
capable code ;)? CUDA (which is a great thing) has no unified memory,
the available operations are limited and requires usually a major
overhaul of the used algorithms. If you take care of this, you can take
advantage of CUDA.

> Each tool simply has its place and usage ;-) , so does OpenMP . That
> does not mean that it is the magic wand for solving MT, it is just
> another tool that we can use.

OpenMP might have it's use but I consider the impact in the compiler too
big for real use.