[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Tue Nov 4 08:42:36 CET 2008

> Can you show a real-world program with source that significantly
> benefits by using OpenMP (alone)?

A task that should benefit from multiple threads on an SMP system should
be Matrix multiplication another is doing DSP-like things and FFT. Those
are really common tasks when handling physical and mathematical
calculations. All these feature independent outer loops that can be done
as independent threads that only need synchronization when all are
ready. Thus in GNU C a simple line "#pragma opm_parallel for" would be
enough to run them in parallel via OpenMP.

It would be nice to compare the speed of such a program on a modern four
core PC with and without this line. (Should be easy, but I don't have
such a machine myself:( and I didn't ever do C for PC programs yet :) :)
, but I'll see if I can find something somewhere....)

-Michael