[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Nov 3 16:37:38 CET 2008

> For a big vector operation the number of used threads should be
> adapted to the memory architecture,
With the C #pragma opm_....  this can be done statically by the
programmer using the "schedule" keyword, defining "chunks" (there seem
to be more sophisticated ways using the "static" "dynamic" and "guided"
keywords, but I am in no way an expert on this
> for computational intensive
> applications like Mandelbrot the number of threads must be adapted to
> the number of available virtual cores.

With the C #pragma opm_....  this is done automatically ("dynamic"). The
OpenMP library seems to do this and assign the loop runs to the threads.
This seems to be the default behavior.

-Michael