[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Nov 3 15:44:21 CET 2008

> It solves none of the real problems of MT programming.

Neither does Pascal. We _can_ always do ASM if we want to :).

> I don't care about this then :) IIRC the Mandelbrot benchmark is full of
> vector macro hacking, if they deny then proper thread starting they
> should better spent their time in usefull things.

I don't insist on caring about the Mandelbrot example at all. (As said I
found that same even is not one of the examples the poster in The German
Lazarus forum was talking about, as here the C code does not use threads
either.)
> Several years ago I had a look at OpenMP and I consider it as one of the
> most useless extensions for real world applications. It adds no benefit
> to the real problems of MT programming.

I don't insist on looking at OpenMP either. I did not do any
investigation on same myself. I just _thought_ that it would be a useful
thing, as the GCC community has adopted it.

IMHO any technology that enables FPC to compile a loop like (using
Oxygen syntax):

for parallel i := 0 to 10 do begin
  a[i] := a[i] + b[i];
end;

in a way that it on a multicore processor runs as fast as the
appropriate GNU C construct:

#pragma ocm_parallel for
for (i=0; i<=10; i++) {
  a[i] = a[i] + b[i];