[fpc-devel] Parallel Computing

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Mon Nov 3 13:40:17 CET 2008

> Maybe it would be good to first start the OpenMP library part - a unit
> providing some functions to easily use light weight threads.

I just read that as of v4.2, GNU C supports OpenMP by language
constructs (seemingly preprocessor directives). When looking at the
ALIOTH "shootout" website this seems to result in a serious disadvantage
of FPC's.

For things like "Mandelbrot" an OpenMP based implementation of the
"parallel loop" syntax (as suggested by Oxygen) seems like a perfect way
to handle SMP.

-Michael