[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPClocale variables

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Wed Jul 30 22:24:52 CEST 2008

> Marco van de Voort schrieb:
> > You could define a helper even for the first three lines.
>
> This is wrong. Asynchronous means that the procedure call is put into a
> queue and not immediatly handled if no thread is in the pool.

I know, but that is only a minor variation on the above scheme.

> Further, your code doesn't handle efficient parameter passing. Especially
> this needs compiler support.

True. It doesn't have state associated (that is returned afterwards) too.
And then we are closer to continuations afaik.

But this is not about what you could do to embelish it, the question if it
is needed.

I don't have a real opinion yet. As I said, I can see the need of such
shortcuts if some framework really bases on such a fundament (async
procedures), and shortcuts improve handling, and one is really sure the
shortcut saves a lot of time and avoids certain common typo mistakes.

Just more or less like dyn arrays aren't the nicest thing alive, but such
dynamically sized arrays are simply used really a lot, and having a somewhat
safer syntax really saves times and mistakes.

But I don't see why the framework could do a 1.0 without such features, and
then inventorize and pick a few, most worthwhile extensions.

That is IMHO better than implementing a handful of extensions, and hope that
something usable will automatically pop around it.