[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Wed Jul 30 11:04:13 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 5:50 PM, Daniƫl Mantione
> <daniel.mantione at freepascal.org> wrote:
>>> Boost the usage of Unicode in FPC that would boost the usage of FPC
>>> itself. Unicode is one of the most demanded features (beside cross platform,
>>> 64bit support, etc) in Delphi since Delphi 7 (2001?). Yet, CodeGear never
>>> fulfill it until Tiburon.
>> Why would it boost FPC usage?
>
> Like Bee said... The time frame has come and gone!

We spent this time frame with making FPC multiplatform. Knowing what's
important doesn't help. You need the time to implement it. I (and
probably a lot of other people) know that really good multithreading
support would be currently a killer feature, especially with language
support. I don't have time to implement it. In three years some smart
guy says, the time frame for good multithreading has come and gone. Great.

> If you read the
> delphi.non-technical newsgroup you would notice that quite a few

delphi.non-technical is yellow press made by users for users.

> Delphi developers use FPC for backend features. Linux services etc...
> They also talked about FPC having 64bit support.  If FPC didn't worry
> to much about compatibility and instead implemented Unicode support

FPC has unicode support for years. Remember what a widestring is?

> long ago like it could have, it might just have boosted FPC usage,

Unlikely. Anyways, who is interested in usage? The important part is
contribution.

> beating Borland to the punch by about 7 years.  FPC could have
> attracted and converted more Delphi developers...

Compatibility is the only way to attract Delphi developers. Just
consider the kcl/fpgui vs. lcl case: kcl/fpgui started before the lcl
and was much more advanced regarding the design than e.g. the vcl.
Nobody except Sebastian and years later you were interested in it.
People used the lcl. The MSE is fully unicode. How much people use it
and contribute? Without Martin, MSE would be dead.