[fpc-devel] Russian locale information not compatible with FPC locale variables

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 10:38:29 CEST 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Marco van de Voort <marcov at stack.nl> wrote:

>> This is what the Russian user had to revert to, using a normal $20
>> (space) character.  But seeing that Delphi is now going to be fully
>> Unicode compliant, surely we need to attend to these issues as well in
>> FPC - being fully Unicode compliant.
>
> And just like Delphi, I think it is better to wait to a major version with
> proper unicode string support, and do it (mostly) right in one go, instead
> of little ad-hoc changes to support workarounds.

I did not suggest ad-hoc changes, I meant FPC should fully support
unicode strings as Delphi is doing in the next release.  Unicode is
not something new, it's just Delphi that is way behind with their
implementation compared to the demand, and FPC now seems to be in the
same boat.  I don't see any point in waiting for Delphi, after all, we
may NOT look at their implementation anyway!

Is there any FPC discussions as to how this is going to be tackled and
what implications there are etc..?  Anything I can join?  Any timeline
for developers to expect unicode support?  Anything we can help test
or write unit tests for?

Regards,
 - Graeme -