[fpc-devel] C style operator doesn't work with properties in 2.3.1

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Thu Jul 17 09:57:02 CEST 2008

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> My question too....   Would somebody be so kind as to explain the
> difference to me?  As I mentioned before, I'm not a compiler
> developer.

Very rudimentary:

source --lexer--> tokens --parser--> tree --code gen--> code

- source is the .pas file etc.
- tokens are things like '{', '}', identifiers, etc.
- tree is using the grammatical rules to form a tree with 'statement'
nodes, 'if' nodes, 'for' nodes, etc.
- code is the destination language (assembly usually).

There are more steps in the compiler, but this is the basic idea.

Apparantly in the tokens, the property has already been parsed to its
getter function. (Making some assumptions here, I don't know fpc that well).

Micha