[fpc-devel] the libc unit on 64-bit systems

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jan 31 22:09:59 CET 2008

Hi,

I know the 'libc' unit is for linux-x86 only.  Does that also exclude
64-bit Linux?

If so, how can I IFDEF code that needs to run on Linux (32 & 64 bit)
and FreeBSD (32 & 64 bit) when 'libc' only works on Linux and 32-bit
systems.  Clearly this code smells, so I should actually find a
alternative solution and get rid of libc altogether.

I've tried the following, but don't know how to distinguish between
32-bit and 64-bit linux.  The code is not critical, so if there isn't
a solution, I can always trash that code.

eg:

 uses
   ....snip....
  {$IFDEF UNIX}
    {$IFDEF LINUX},libc{$ENDIF}
  ,baseunix
  {$ENDIF}
  ;

The above compiles under Linux and FreeBSD 32-bit, but fails under
Linux 64-bit because of missing 'libc'.  All compiling is done with
FPC 2.2.0

Regards,
  - Graeme -