[fpc-devel] Freepascal in microcontrollers

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Thu Feb 28 08:48:32 CET 2008

> Of course the compiler should be internally consistent. A record
> written on i.e. Windows should be readable on i.e. Linux. Only if
> {$packrecords C}
> is used, we pack records according to ABI, as to interface with the OS.

Are any bitpacked structures used in the API of any OS ?

If hardware access is an issue: how should endianess be handled ? The
compiler does know about the endianess of the processor, but it does not
know about what endianess the user needs in the hardware. Thus it would
be necessary to define it via a kind of compiler option.

-Michael