[fpc-devel] Freepascal in microcontrollers

Vinzent Hoefler JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Wed Feb 27 11:40:07 CET 2008

On Wednesday 27 February 2008 11:16, Micha Nelissen wrote:
> Vinzent Hoefler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 27 February 2008 09:44, Michael Schnell wrote:
> >> You can avoid cryptic language constructs in the main source code.
> >
> > Or you can avoid cryptic languages altogether. :D
>
> You mean like ADA? Indeed, I agree :P

No, I meant languages which are not able to give me bit level control
over a type and have to circumvent this restriction with either
awkward "macro magic" or even can't do nothing at all.

If I mean to set the write buffer water mark of the SDRAM controller
register, I'd rather write:

|SDRAM_Buffer_Control.WB_Watermark := Sixteen;

instead of

|SDRAMBufferControl := (SDRAMBufferControl and not WB_WATERMARK_MASK) or
|                      WB_WATER_MARK_16;

Not even to think of the much more cryptic C version.

Vinzent.