[fpc-devel] In FPC written FPC Debugger

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Fri Feb 22 09:32:26 CET 2008

Ales Katona schrieb:
> Paul Ishenin  wrote / napĂ­sal(a):
>>
>> And we need:
>> 1. abstraction layer to use gdb or native debugger or any other debugger
>> 2. program interface which can satisfy fpc ide, mse ide, and lazaraus ide
> I agree 100% on this, unless gdb people don't accept patches at all I

GDB is written in C, even worse it is written in a 80th hackish style
using tons of macros. Most advanced pascal programmers can read it but
writing or even debugging is another matter. Compiling gdb as any gcc
written software is a nightmare especially on non unix. People not
believing it might be my guest in creating new cross binutils for
windows. Using Cygwin doesn't count because the dependency on
cygwin1.dll causes only trouble for the user.

And even if gdb supports everything, you are still stuck to it's
sluggish machine interface when accessing it from IDEs since libgdb is
not supported officially anymore.