[fpc-devel] In FPC written FPC Debugger

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Thu Feb 21 22:34:20 CET 2008

On 21 Feb 2008, at 22:22, Daniël Mantione wrote:

> Op Thu, 21 Feb 2008, schreef Jonas Maebe:
>

>> On 21 Feb 2008, at 21:37, Daniël Mantione wrote:
>>
>>> This discussion takes place in the fpc team from to time. It is
>>> clear we will need our own debugger, even though not everyone
>>> likes to maintain a debugger for its platform.
>>
>> I disagree it is even necessary for Mac OS X, as gdb works fine
>> there (and both Apple and SourceWare have been fairly receptive to
>> the -small- patches I have submitted).
>
> GDB works well on any Unix. It's the non-Unix platforms where gdb
> does not work well.

That's why I said it's not needed for Mac OS X (and not "it's not
needed for any platform").

> Lack of Pascal support like with, local procedures, widestrings,
> dynamic arrays, properties is platform independend. Therefore all
> platforms would benefit.

All Unixes would just as well benefit from the same support in gdb,
with the added advantage that you immediately also have C/C++ support
(handy for mixed source projects) + you don't have to implement and
maintain all the low level support for those platforms.

Both approaches have their pros and cons (e.g. gdb has against it that
is written in C), but I consider it far from "clear that we will need
our own debugger" (at least not for all platforms).

Jonas