[fpc-devel] fpdoc inherited entries

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 18 14:17:47 CET 2008

On Mon, 18 Feb 2008, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> On Feb 18, 2008 12:51 PM, Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> > Then you need to decide what to do:
> > - Create a page for TChild.Property and simply refer to TParent.property
> >   (a braindead solution imho)
>
> Why is creating a link from TChild.Property to TParent.Property a bad thing?

Because you don't need the TChild.Property page at all.

There should not be a link to TChild.Property anywhere. All links should
always be to TParent.property.

In the overview page:

Class TChild
Properties
Property MyProperty; --> link to TParent.MyProperty, NOT to TChild.Property

> AFAIK, if you use Doc-o-Mactic it will do exactly that. Delphi help
> also works like that. In fact, I don't know any example of a source
> code documenting system that copyes the same text on several places
> for the same function.

Delphi uses the second mechanism which I proposed (the not-braindead-one).

In the 'TFileStream Methods', just click on TFileStream.WriteBuffer, under
'Derived from TStream', and it takes you to to TStream.WriteBuffer.

The braindead one would take you to a mostly empty page TFileStream.WriteBuffer
with a small clickable text 'This method is documented in TStream.WriteBuffer.'

Michael.