[fpc-devel] FPC on ARM, Debian "Lenny"

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-devel at telemetry.co.uk
Sat Dec 13 22:47:52 CET 2008

Using Debian "Etch", which is arm rather than armel, I was able to
compile FPC 2.2.2 running natively on an ARM system. I was subsequently
able to use this to compile Lazarus 0.9.27, hence generate X
applications natively. I can't remember whether I did any debugging.

Debian "Lenny" has switched to armel rather than arm. FPC 2.2.2 installs
without error but trying to compile the canonical test.pas I get:

/usr/bin/ld: ERROR: Source object
/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.2.2/units/arm-linux/rtl/system.o has EABI version
0, but target test has EABI version 4

I think this is a fairly succinct indication of why I wasn't able to get
FPC to compile itself prior to compiling Lazarus for Lenny.

Looking at the Debian "Lenny" repository, there is an fpc metapackage
but the components- fp-compiler etc.- are not available.

 From recent discussion I presume that to progress this I have to
cross-compile, either on Debian "Etch" or on a non-ARM system. Can
somebody point me at the information I need, and tell me explicitly what
target I should be using?

Is there any way I can help by packaging an armel build for download,
ditto for v2.2.3 for SPARC?

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk