[fpc-devel] Qt, Java and Unicode support

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Dec 2 13:14:01 CET 2008

Hi,

Why reinvent the wheel with all these different string types and
round-about discussions etc...  Can we learn something from other
multi-platform frameworks that solved these problems ages ago!  I
Google'd and couldn't even find any message thread about programmers
complaining about unicode and string issues in Qt or Java.

Take Qt as an example:
  * Qt is one of the most successful programming frameworks and toolkits around
  * it uses a language that doesn't even have a String type so it had
to implement it's own.
  * it seems to handle conversions just find - i haven't seen a single
msg about developers complaining of such an issue.
  * it runs on multiple platforms (big and small). So different system
encoding are handled just fine.

Take Java as an example:
  * Also a hugely popular language and framework (despite what
Microsoft wants you to believe).
  * No developers seem to complain about unicode or conversion issues.
  * it runs on multiple platforms - again big or small. So different
system encodings are handled just fine.

So would it maybe help if we took a peek at what those frameworks have
done. Clearly they managed to do it right as no developers or users
are complaining!  So I guess Free Pascal could learn from them and
don't have to go through the whole R&D process. Study what those two
frameworks did and apply the same thing to Free Pascal!

Regards,
  - Graeme -