[fpc-devel] Unicode and UTF8String

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Tue Dec 2 11:20:24 CET 2008

Op Tue, 2 Dec 2008, schreef Michael Schnell:

> I supposed one of the main intentions for the move to Unicode was the ability
> to support Chinese above all. So they did not seem to have been content with
> what was done before.
>
> Is anybody from China here to offer the footage ?

It is not the Chinese that are pushing for Unicode. GB2312 suits them
well. Likewise, JIS 0213 suits the Japanese well. Those encodings also
have the characters to support Western languages, or Greek, or Russian.
Unicode is used as a technical solution to handle Chinese is for an
important part a Western development. Eastern developers already support
Eastern languages.

Daniël